Jacob finished his breakfast, pushed aside his bowl, and rested his chin on his hands. He sat there for a moment, quietly, and then, in a tired, slightly resigned tone, said,
"I guess I can read this Winnie the Pooh book. It should put a smile on my face."
Why Winnie the Pooh, and why a needed smile?...........
Well, the Winnie the Pooh book was within reach, and the necessary arrival of these -was the reason he was short on smiles.
Jacob is no ordinary child. When he does something, he REALLY does it. I foresee family get togethers in the future as story-tell-athons, recounting (and hopefully laughing hysterically) all his childhood adventures.
So here's the story. Yesterday was a great day. Harmony in the home, Mom working on prepping some rooms for painting, working in the yard together (while it was only 95ish, and not yet 104), yada, yada, yada. Late in the quiet afternoon, while they were all looking at books (we are all finishing up recovering from the flu in JULY - not bitter at all), Jake decided things were a bit too quiet and starts stirring up the pot. Ends up losing his chance to hang out with us kool kats and gets sent upstairs to his room. He starts shooting arrows (sharpened pencils) at me with his bow (hanger) from his room. Naturally mom shuts his door. He opens it and begins again. Mom locks it. Yelling, banging, and then quietness follows. I continue keepin' my cool and taping off the hallway. I run out of painters tape. I go down to the kitchen to get the next roll and WHAT!?! Jacob is dragging himself up to the patio door!
HE ESCAPED OUT HIS BEDROOM WINDOW, LOWERED HIMSELF ONTO THE COVERED PATIO ROOF, AND JUMPED.
So, a long evening in the E.R. with me and three lovely, tired children. (couldn't get ahold of Mike, he was out running after work). Grrrrrr. Yes, he broke the little bones on the top of his foot, and is in a hard splint. Half plaster, half wrap. He is pretty proud of how "awesome I already am at getting around on these things!" Though the hospital bills he is now in charge of paying, and the thought of not being able to swim in this absurd heat has got him a little down. Natural consequences. Lovely things. (Though I wish I didn't have to hang around while he suffers through it.)
Which reminds me of another story that must not be left out of our family archive. Back in maybe March, Jake was out playing in the backyard. I asked him to pick up some things before he came back in, and then I went inside, inadvertently locking the door behind me. I proceeded to go into the garage to do laundry, and Andrew and Amelia came in as well, to ride their bikes. So we couldn't hear anything.....phones ringing, doorbells dinging, or.... WHOOPS - children knocking and calling and finally crying and pounding to tell me they are locked out. Jake (who's worst fear is being kidnapped) took matters into his own hands. He found a hammer and smashed out our sliding glass door - almost all of it. There was glass from the back door all the way to the front door. Ohhhhhh boy. I am glad I refrained from going with my first train of thought - which was to hang him in the tree by his toes and let the opossums make breakfast out of him -but I gave big hugs and helped calm him down and listened to his story. The poor little guy was terrified. And I felt so bad that I had locked the door, even if just out of habit!
So there it is. And I am clinging to the hope that the thousands of extra dollars these "stories" are going to cost us will seem trivial when all is said and done.
And of course, it must be remembered, that Jacob absolutely charmed every one of the 7 doctors/nurses/receptionists that helped him. Oh, and the whole waiting room. He is charming and delightful. I am so thankful for that. And as I seek to align myself with Pollyanna, I am glad that it was only his foot that was injured, and that the screen he pushed out of his bedroom window was not damaged beyond repair, and that they had crutches his size...because this mama would be having a meltdown if she had to carry a 50 pound child everywhere. I'm not sure that would have ended pretty.
So now I must get back to "the boredest boy on earth," his brother who is still dealing with an awful cough, and his sister - who just woke up and I am praying is in a fabulous mood!
1 week ago

9 comments:
Your kids have no fear of heights! Holy smokes! I am glad Jakers is okay. Hang in there Pollyanna. I hope you guys all get better soon... and us too. We aren't bitter about being sick either.;)
Will the cast be off by the baptism or will it be wrapped? Thanks for the blow by blow report.
Dad - we are HOPING it will be off in time! The minute it hit Jake that it might not be off in time, he had a huge moment of silence. Every thing has really been falling in to place as far as teaching moments.
Awe man, so hard, but on the other hand, isn't there some gratification when those teaching moments actually sink in? Even if they cost thousands of dollars?... ;) Hope your next few days are positively boring. :)
Oh Jacob, how I love thee. He is such a smart & delightful little man. I love his tenacity & problem solving kids. At least you can take comfort in knowing that he won't let anything keep him down! I am SO excited to see what his future holds. ;)
problem solving SKILLS.....;)
Oh,no! Oh,no!! HaHaHaHaHa! Can't wait to hear all of this again in six years!!
I am so sorry that this happened. Hopefully it will be a once in a lifetime event! We love you Jacob and hope that you find some fun and safe ways to stay cool and that your injury heals quickly.
Cheri, Cheri,
I think this is a perfect story to illustrate your children. I sure do love them. If only the girls and I could sign Jake's wrappings :)
Post a Comment