The boys started school bright and early today! Jake started off third grade with confidence and excitement. Andrew tightened his grip on my hand as we approached the front door of the school. He told me he felt a little nervous. I told him that was normal, and that there were four whole kindergarten classes full of kids starting just like him, and that the teachers were there to help him. Jacob spoke up and reassured Andrew that everyone felt a bit nervous today, because everyone had a new class in a new grade, so for Andrew not to worry at all.
As we walked in to the cafeteria and split up into grade sections, there were 5 other kindergarteners there so far. Three of them were silent with tears pouring down their cheeks. I'm guessing their parents had to leave for work already. As soon as Andrew saw them, his eyes got red and began welling up. Of course this made me almost lose it. I gained control, though, and quickly began introducing all the little kids to one another, and asking what teachers they had (most of them told me they couldn't remember) and then we found some things to laugh about. After a few minutes Andrew's teacher came striding up waving both arms high in the air and calling out Andrew's name. He gave her a little wave and a big smile. She was so sweet! She came right over and said, "Andrew! I have a TON of pencils that need to be sharpened. Would you like to come with me to the classroom and help me sharpen them?!" Oh boy, would he. He gave me a kiss and was off.
At the end of today Jake reported that his class was "Great! My teacher has excellent control of the classroom. It was so quiet. And I really like the kids in my desk group."
Andrew told me that an "Emily girl" was driving him crazy. "She kept getting up and running all around and out into the hall and was just so loud. I kept looking at her like 'what are you doing?'"
Conclusion: they are both excited to go back tomorrow. And Millie and I look forward to all the time we have to read books together, dance, and work on our popsicle weaning! (; Good times!
1 week ago

5 comments:
Please tell me their was someone in the cafeteria and they didn't leave their little ones before staff was there! By the way you may need to go back to skool for spelling! haha
You painted the picture perfectly. I can sure think of those teachers that made a difference for me. Jacob and Andrew, you look so handsome. I glad you have great teachers and for how anxious you are to learn. Love, grandpa thomason
New days are always a bit rough. It was so good to hear about theirs. Thank heavens for pencil sharpening!! I laughed about the teacher having excellent control & I almost lost it when I heard about the kids waiting for their teachers. So glad it went well!
Aw that part about the crying children is so sad. Poor kindergarteners. I remember crying and crying at that age because I couldn't open the glue. Sounds like Andrew is going to do fine. He's growing up!
Oh. Just reading it gives me the butterflies. I am slightly nervous for Warren to start Preschool next week. I hope it goes as smoothly as this! I am glad you could step in and cheer up the kids.....and there are 4 other very grateful moms that you did too. :) Happy New School Year!
Post a Comment