Mike gave me a late birthday and early 10th
anniversary gift! He had a conference toattend in New York, and he flew me out
to spend time with him once he was done.
They were three wonderful days!
When I showed up, I met Mike and we went to a nearby restaurant with a fun (and loud) jazz trio. It was quite late when we finished, but here we are hitting Times Square. I couldn't get over how true the saying is that New YorkCity is the "City that
never sleeps." At midnight nothing changes except that the sun has gone down. Deliveries are being made, people are walking the streets, the shops are open...it's weird.
And another surprise for me: the people were very friendly! I had the idea New Yorkers would have cold shoulders and averted eyes would be the norm. Over and over people would answer our questions in such a genuinely warm friendly way...one woman, when asked directions, actually walked us to the street we were looking for because she said the area was very confusing. Another woman stopped us and asked us if we were looking for something in particular. Then she told us all her restaurant recommendations. This, actually, was the norm for our trip.
So our first full day turned out to be quite emotional. We started at the Trinity Church. We saw numerous old, beautiful churches while we were here, but this definitely felt like hallowed ground. Inside, we were able to listen to a string ensemble perform. As I sat on one of the old pews, I was overcome with thoughts of those who had labored in the building of this church, those who had sat in the very pew I was sitting in, and the times they all had lived through. I could have spent much longer outside than we did, because there was a cemetery with headstones dating to around the early 1600's. Sweet inscriptions, and just the sheer age of the worn headstones, made it enthralling. So many infants, and adults in their 30's and 40's were buried here, along with Alexander Hamilton, and others who were Revolutionary war generals and signers of the Declaration of Independence. Very cool.The doors to the church were ornate (along with so many of the buildings in New York). I loved this depiction of Adam and Eve being cast from the garden.
Then we headed off to the the World Trade Center Memorial Center. Wow. That was hard. It took you through the days and weeks following the attack with photographs, video, voice recordings, and written statements. There was a wall of photocopied "missing people" posters that was almost too much for me. It gave us a glimpse into the individuals lives and those in their family that were mourning.
This is a picture of thousands of origami peace cranes that were folded and put on the fences surrounding the site, and now hang above the staircase leading to a room full of inspiring stories of those who have taken the tragedy and used it as a stepping stone to making the world a better place and to give of themselves. It was a wonderful way to end our walk through. We were left with that wonderful united feeling that we all felt after the attacks. I felt friendlier to those I passed on the streets after that and had that realization again that we are all brothers and sisters here on this earth and we can be stewards over one another, to bless each others lives.We walked and walked! All over the island. When we went to see the New York Stock exchange on Wall Street, we stumbled upon the Federal Building. What an unexpected treasure. Here is the stone that George Washington stood on as he was sworn in as the first President.
This place was so OLD. The marble steps inside were wearing away from hundreds of years of use. The Bill of Rights was ratified there. I am fascinated by the stories behind everything in the city (and every city), and probably drove Mike crazy with all of my "can you just picture what people used to be wearing who walked these streets?" and "think of all the people who have walked up and down these same steps" and "I wonder what all the land around here used to look like when this was built." I love reading all the plaques on every building and monument. This is the bible that was used during the swearing in of George Washington.
We also went to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. What a great place. Gave us perspective and reminded us again of the sacrifice people made to come to this country. We learned about the voyages here and the thrilling and nerve wracking experience it was to enter this country. You were able to search for your relatives that arrived on Ellis Island, and luckily Mike knew enough details about his Swedish grandfather to find him.
And here we are at our favorite park - the HighLine. Beautiful. Warm(er) night, looking out over the Hudson River.
Here's to another handful of decades!


8 comments:
So FUN! Wow, what a fun anniversary getaway! You guys have deserved a trip like this for a long time! I'm so glad you went and had so much fun! Happy 10th (in a couple of months!)
Hey it's me, Jules-- I am so glad you had a fantastic time in New York- my favorite big city! Isn't it wonderful? The history is great, the people are friendly, and the food, oh how I love the FOOD of NYC! It's like taking a trip around the world. Glad you were able to get away together!
I wrote a song just for the two of you. And believe it or not I remembered all the words when I sang it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-K9QBR1uXc
Happy 10th. love ya
Whoa-now I want to go so BAD!! I'm so glad you guys had such a great time! What an awesome AWESOME present!!
So happy you will remember that for your life time. Love you guys
Awesome! How fun! Looks like you had a fabulous time! One of our best couple retreats was in NY. We so need to do that soon! Did I already say awesome?
What a great trip! And you were able to see so much in such a short amount of time. I guess that's what happens when you don't have kids with you and you've become so good at multitasking over the last several years :) I'm so so so glad you were able to go. What a difference it makes in your marriage to be alone for a minute! You both sure deserved a break!!!!
What a wonderful trip. I loved hearing all about it!
Post a Comment