Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm having a moment

I feel old tonight. Like all of a sudden time is moving faster and I'm a bit nervous. So here's the deal. My friend called this evening to ask if I would show her son my flute and maybe let him play around on it to see if it's something he'd like to pursue.

I start thinking about how I felt when I first started playing the flute and was trying to figure out what kind of songs we started with. When I realized I was foggy on this and was wondering why, I started to calculate how many years it's been since I learned.

It's been 20 YEARS!!! Okay, so that explains the fogginess. Yikes!


And to stay on that "My kids will seriously never relate to me or believe that I know what it's like to be them" train......this morning I was fondly remembering when my family had a boat and we would take off on Saturday morning and tube the day away. The special treat when we headed home, exhausted from the sunshine, was to stop at Taco Bell and - get this - all of us got to choose THREE (oo-la-la) items from the

THIRTY-NINE CENT menu.

My sister, Lindsay, always instead finagled her way into getting 1 super expensive item instead. Maybe a seven layer burrito for (gasp) $1.07.

So there it is kids. Proof that I grew up in the olden days. Nothing will ever be the same. Sigh.

6 comments:

amydear said...

I hear you. 3 tacos for $1 was a staple in my high school days. Now I just think "ew." Getting old is not so fun.

Emily said...

I know...I was just thinking the other day that my 15th reunion is coming up this summer and I remember when I was in Jr High gas was 80 cents per gallon! Well, either way I still love ya, ya old geez! ;D CAN'T wait to see you in a week!

nealthomason said...

Cherie I just had my 55th reunion this summer, don't feel old I don,t, just can,t move as fast. We would go to the drive inn after school and get a 25 cent hambuger !!!! and a 5 cent drink. Now it is 20.00 when we go.
Tell Jake he needs to write me !!!
Love you guys

Lindsay said...

YES! 7-Layer burrito! Hahahaha! Finagaler extraordinaire here!! 20 years?!? My!!! What happened?!

Hmmm......I love cheese. Can I just say that? And my crock pot. A lot. I thought you should know.

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

Ah yes, dem were the days. I'd write some more but I've got to go meet with my banker to take out a second on the house so I can fill up my tank.

Amy said...

Long live the 99 cent Whopper!

-Spencer