Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Heads Up

Today we went to pick up a playscape for our backyard. (Hooray!!!) While waiting for a guy to come back with some different tools, I slid into the seat of the van, hoping to get a some needed shut eye in the air conditioning. The boys were busy rearranging all the wood pieces in the big trailer. After a few minutes Jake knocks loudly on the window. I open my eyes, and with a very serious look he motions for me to open the door.

As soon as the door is open he soberly gives me the latest heads up:

"Okay. Mom? (right hand comes up and out, palm open, head cocks to the side a little and bobs almost imperceptibly) if anyone comes by and tries to sell you a unicorn horn, do NOT buy it. There are no such things as unicorns. He probably just went up to the Arctic and found some washed up Narwal, took it's horn, and is going to sell it to you. (Pauses and thinks for just a second). He will probably just make up the cost of getting the Narwal horn, or maybe will try to even make a bit extra."

I almost totally lost it when he said unicorn horn. I didn't see that coming. Where does he come up with these things!?! And Narwal? As he walked away it took me a few moments to remember that it is the name of some kind of fish - maybe a type of small shark? Whatever.

Update:
I (Miguel) looked it up, and Narwhals are crazy -like a unicorn for boys, but for real. Here is a page with several pictures.

5 comments:

Alissa said...

now that right there is some very valuable information. i've been looking to buy a unicorn horn on ebay and now i think i'll avoid that trap for sure!

http://www.arcticecosystem.info/27.html

the narwhal whale is a one horned whale... freaky thing.

Lindsay said...

Are you kidding me?! What the knock you off your feet make you speechless kind of comment was that?! HILARIOUS!!! He is SO smart & SO funny. Those things look crazy by the way, I vomited a little at the head & tusk sitting alone on the ice.

amydear said...

That is soooo funny. Your boys continually crack me up. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your life is exciting. And I totally knew what a narwhal was. : )

Amy said...

That boy has a bigger vocab than I think I will EVER have. He is so smart!

Emily said...

Jacob never does cease to amaze me. Such a ham!