Friday, May 29, 2009

Thank you

The month of May turned into a crazy one. I had committed to do a few things for a couple different committees at school and am the secretary for the Relief Society (women's organization) at church, and just had some of the general busy-ness that comes near the end of school.

All of it was going to be manageable until the school district decided to postpone all extra-curricular activities for two weeks due to the swine flu threat. (Puh-lease.) So all the things that were originally spread out thru May, were all dumped in one week. That meant juggling things at the same time, spending a lot of time redoing things that had already been done for our school's silent auction, redoing signs and posters, remaking cakes for the cake walk....on and on. All I can say is that my body physically gave out each night. There was too much to do and too little time. Mike was fantastic to help out either cooking dinner, or at least not complaining when he often was home before we were. He put the kids to bed, was supportive of every meeting I needed to be at, and always gave me encouraging words for all the things I was working on. Sorry for the back up in laundry family!! (ummm..backup is not the right word. Jacob actually had three different days where there simply was no clean underwear left...small pajama shorts under regular shorts? Sounded good to us!)

Anyway - my family was fantastic, but the reason I started down this long wandering narrative was to say thank you to my sister in law, Jenny. On the day of the silent auction I had so much to do, a filthy kitchen, no energy left, and was just feeling awful about how little I was getting done around the house. I could barely stand up anymore and had six cakes to frost and decorate. Ding dong! Jenny flew in, blew around my kitchen for half an hour, infused me with energy, gave me a great hug, and left me with a spotless kitchen and a humongously thankful heart. It meant a lot to me. Thank you Jenny! You were just what I needed!

**And yes! I do know when to say no to volunteer "opportunities." This just ended up being an awful time for any parent at our school, due to overscheduling events. An example - in one night of the crazy week they jammed the Book Fair, Gallery Night, Talent Show, and ISP Presentations. AYE-YI-YI-CHIHUAHUA-MAMASITA!!**

4 comments:

Emily said...

By small and simple things GREAT things come to pass. I am so happy she was there to bouy you up....its amazing how much the little things matter. :) Kudos to Mike & Kids for their support and sacrifice (clean underwear is a pretty BIG one) !

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to see you all next week!! WOOO HOOO! Warren has been talking non-stop about the things he can show Jake & Andrew... (imagine that) since you called.

Guynns said...

Oh my goodness thats INSANE!!! that was so nice of Jenny, hopefully this will be a relaxing summer now that school is, or is almost out! i love you cheri, you are such a great mom i can't wait to see you guys for christmas, it think that will be our next time out to utah too. seems so far away :( but much will be going on in the meantime! anyway hope you are havin a good day give those adorable kids smooches for me and tell mike hello!

Lindsay said...

HOLY COW!! I'm so glad you survived!! Yeah Jenny & Mike & kids & pajama shorts!:) Haha! That part made me laugh! LOVE YOU!

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

Bird, thanks for sharing your grateful heart and to Jenny and BIG thank you from the folks out west. A best practice you might consider in the future is just turning the underwear inside out... :-)