I just sent off an email to all teachers, support staff and administration at my boys' school. My heart is racing as I sit here in a weird kind of shock.
There are some major issues at their school that must be resolved and the catalyst for my involvement was the abrupt announcement on Friday of a fifth grade teacher quitting. Word has it that some of our veteran teachers(think 20 - 30 years, some have taught at the school since it opened) are not planning on coming back next year.
What I did on paper is quite harmless. Sent an upbeat survey to everyone asking for their anonymous input on a number of different issues and asking for their suggestions. I so desperately want this information, but am also scared to receive it.
I'm worried that my great relationship with the principal and A.P. may be damaged as some of my concerns lie in the way they have handled some important things.
I am worried that as a result of this "stirring of the pot" the administration may come down harder on the teachers and the teachers (in their minds) will be slapping my hand as I walk down the hall.
At the same time - if a survey asking how the PTA can better support the school in real ways is viewed by the principal as meddling and a threat, then we know how serious the problem is, and all the better to tackle it. Right, my dear?
How did I end up at the front of this?!?
I do want to make a difference. I do love our school. I do love, appreciate, and have deep respect for teachers. (but....)
I fear confrontation. My voice wavers when put in a place where emotions are running high. Any eloquence I may find while pontificating with Mike disappears when talking to a group.
I am terrified, but luckily supported by a large group of others. "Let me know what to do, Cheri, and I'll do it." Huh? Ummm.....does somebody else want to organize? Please? This is most likely going to end up on the Superintendant's doorstep, if not further. (Internal scream.)
I guess I should be thankful that I have a cause in front of me that I feel strongly about, and most likely will be able to make some sort of difference, and have some great friends who are rallying me.
But ughh.
1 week ago

14 comments:
Good job and Good luck! I hope it all turns out well for you.
I am not sure what the issues are but it seems to me if the teachers are not happy they should be excited for some additional support and a rallying troop working to better the school.
What kind of concerns are going around? You are awesome lady and you can do it! I'll say a little prayer for you!
I think I'd rather potty train a 2 year-old than deal with issues at school. Good luck to you! You are so kind and diplomatic that I'm sure things will turn out. I'm inspired by your willingness to do something.
Cheri ~
As a teacher, I am thankful for PTA members/parents like you. As scary and nerve-racking as it can be, you are doing a great service! Hang in there and good Luck!
~Melissa
Good for you, Cheri. I am so proud of you for taking a stand and for working hard to make a change. What a woman!!
I can totally relate to your emotions. I just had a similar experience the other day, on a MUCH smaller scale. I HATE confrontation. Good luck. Pray, pray,pray. He will help you.
It is important not to judge ourselves by what we think we know of our own potential. We should trust the Lord and what he can do with our dedicated heart and willing mind.
The scriptures teach and I have been led to confirm that we will never be prompted by the Holy Ghost to do something we cannot do. It may require extraordinary effort and much time, patience, prayer, and obedience, but we can do it. I have full confidence in you and your ability to make a difference. love ya
I'm scared too. I can totally relate, not to the exact situation but the anxiety & lack of brain with high-emotions. Good luck!
Good luck Cheri! I heard a quote once that goes something like this, "If you've never made anyone mad you've never stood up for anything." That still doesn't make it any easier, but way to stand up for something good!
I love the advice from your dad. I needed to hear that too. Thanks for sharing. :)
How did it go? I keep thinking about this...
Me too!! Did the Sup Int take you out? lol
I am reading "The Well-Trained Mind" and am looking into home schooling for my kids. But, good luck try to fix things that are wrong in public schools. You're doing the right thing. You're a great person and it sounds like people are getting behind. Be brave.
Oh, not fun. So not fun. But if you are concerned, that's how things get better.
Post a Comment