Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fireflies

As I looked out the window this evening after putting the kids to bed, I saw the familiar flashes of light start popping up here and there in the backyard. Excitement! Fireflies are back! That means summer really is here!

I was immediately overcome with the memory of the first time I saw fireflies. My family took a two week road trip when I was 15 or 16. We made a stop in Kansas and that evening we saw the scattered lights start appearing in a cornfield. It was thrilling - like in a way that those who live in the south may feel when they first see snow. Is this real? I've heard of it! I can't believe it!

And then when we first moved to Michigan I was so delighted to discover that I actually got to live where these fairytale-like creatures lived. What fun!

And now it is something my kids will grow up with. Lucky ducks.

And since we're talking about summer - let's talk about my fabulous garden. It really brings me such joy. We harvested our first zucchini the other day and had it for dinner. Mmmm. (Random Thought: Can I tell you I am so proud I spelled zucchini right the first time I typed it?! That is one weird word.)

Amelia is my helper and she takes her role seriously. In fact, the other day we were reading The Tale of Peter Rabbit. There was a picture showing Mr. MacGregor in his garden. Amelia pointed to the picture and said, "Oh no! Where is his little girl to help him?" So adorable.

And here are some pictures of the garden. When I came in to record on my little chart how many we harvested, I realized it was exactly 30 days after planting. Does that seem crazy to you? I am always amazed at how quickly the garden grows.


6 comments:

Emily said...

Ok, so what is the deal with your garden? You aleady have zuccini? Where they established plants or did you plant from seeds? I planted mine with seeds at least 6 weeks ago and my zucchini plants are like 7-8 inches tall and just blossoming. Seriously, do you have dead people under there?

Emily said...

yes I spelled zucchini wrong. Blah.

Cheri said...

No - I use starter plants that are maybe 3 inches tall. And yes, it must be an old cemetary or something because all I did was mix in some gardening mulch before planting, sprinkle some all purpose vegetable fertilizer, and then water. BOOM! I swear they are growing 3 to 4 inches a night. Everything. Those pics were taken last week and already all my tomatoes have grown out of the tops of their cages.

Lindsay said...

Millie should be squozen (not spelled right or even correct grammar) super hard. She is too cute!
I can't believe your garden!! I'm doing an amazing job of nourishing a thriving jungle in my backyard. Should be seeing monkeys any day now...:) Haha! But the front looks good. I remembered the Beatrix Potter stories a couple weeks ago and thought,"What?! I haven't read those to my kids yet?!" So I have been on a mission to do so.

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

Incredible garden. Well done. We are still wearing ski coats to mow the lawn...

Amelia,

You are such a good helper and big girl. Good job.

love you.

Grandpa

Danielle said...

I am WAY jealous of your garden. Mine has been killed by snow twice this year....sheesh!

Gotta love Utah, but man- it's killin my green thumb!