I approached the holiday this year with dread.
1. I manage to yell at my children most days.
2. A tired mom mixed with 2 belligerent, exhausted children every morning who have to be out the door by 7:35 (while being quiet enough to not wake the 2 year old) is like mixing baking soda and vinegar - someone's going to explode.
3. There have been weeks this year that I haven't even looked in their backpacks to see what homework has been assigned.
4. More often than not I am looking at the clock as they excitedly tell me every detail of the star wars lego battle they just had upstairs.
5. Amelia has had to hang on my arm and pull on my face while crying "Look at me, Mom!" while I am sending off emails.
Anyway - I have had many moments in the past year where I have fallen in bed and thought, "Nice going. That'll mess them up and leave them needing a psychotherapist when they're older."
So you can understand why I asked Mike to skip it this year. He didn't - being the husband he is, but it was all I could do this morning to accept gifts, a plethora of homemade cards, and songs made up and presented on the spot by Andrew. Even though it warmed my heart, I was still feeling guilt at not doing my best at the most important thing in my life.
A talk in church really helped adjust my perspective. It was a straightforward, no nonsense talk, devoid of anything sappy. He talked about a mother's responsibilities - including taking the necessary time out for ourselves, and to be ever watchful of becoming overwhelmed and discouraged and thinking that we are not doing a great job. It wasn't a feel good talk, it was like he held up my life in front of me and let me see it from an objective person's point of view, and then told me what I could do better. As I type this I realize that he was inspired in his presentation and content, but that the Spirit was obviously involved in creating this experience for me.
So I graciously accepted the flowers and chocolate they handed out afterward, and have felt cheery ever since. (Maybe the chocolate had something to do with that?) I still need to figure out how to once again prioritize my extremely full plate, and also to take out the time needed to rejuvenate myself spiritually and physically. I have been trying to "give" from exhausted reserves for some time now. It doesn't really work that way.
So Happy Mother's Day to myself. I am glad to be able to think that way again. And to everyone else out there who gives of themselves time and time again to those around you - whether they be your children or your neighbors. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!
1 week ago

10 comments:
AMEN!
I'm so glad--you are a GOOD mom, and I mean that sincerely. I know because you fret about whether you are doing a good job or not, and because i read your blog and can easily see the deep love and concern you have for your kids, even amidst the ups & downs. God didn't ask you to be a perfect Mom--no such thing (at least on Earth). He just asked you to be a good one, and you're doing it. Based on how your kids are turning out, I think you're succeeding... :)
I had a dream with your family in it last night! I was staying at your house and it was so nice. Mike staged a happening, it was hilarious. I sure miss you and want you to know that you are a great inspiration to me daily. You are an amazing Mom. I just wish I could be around you more. I can't wait until July!!!! You are loved for a reason!!!! Your pure awesomeness :)
Thanks, Cheri. You just expressed many of the feelings I associate with Mother's Day too. I wish I could have heard Andrew's song. I'm glad you got a good perspective today. You are a wonderful mother!
This was great to read... thanks for sharing! I was feeling much the same way this year - this past week was not a good mommy/son week and way more frustration was let out than I would ever like to admit. It was nice to read that I'm not the only one. I would've loved to have heard that talk, it sounds like it was really inspired.
Happy Mother's Day.
Wow, so true that we can't give when the well is dry. It's just filling it that confuses me...when? how? at what cost?
It's the great balancing act of life. We'll get the hang of it, right?! (and hopefully before we are grandparents!)
I'm glad you are feeling better about Mother's Day! You are a great mommy! Every time I am around you and your family I am amazed at all the energy and attention you give to your kids. You are doing great! Love ya! Happy Mom's Day!
I love that about the spirit. It motivates in a completely positive, unoverwhelming way and makes everything so clear.
BTW there are SO many things you do as a mother that I tell Brandon " we have to do that with our kids... I LOVE that Cheri does that."
I appreciate all of your comments. Thank you. I guess I didn't even think about some of you feeling the same way. And your support is so kind. Being a mom is really a ride. My highest highs, and my lowest lows, but always something learned. And always some FUN to be had!
And Katie. Mike and I love it. I wish I could see your dream. Mike is ready to stage a happening TONIGHT!
And Amy B. - you're right about the teachings of the Spirit. Thanks for pointing that out.
Cheri, I read your blog and think, "wow, what a fun and wonderful mother she is!" So it's nice to know that you yell at your kids and watch the clock when they talk to you, too.
Post a Comment