Amelia is weaned.
It was rather uneventful. She whimpered last night and this for about 30 seconds and then drifted off. Huh, I kind of figured there would be more, but I guess by the time you're 16 months old you're kind of over it. (:
I'm a little sad. It is always hard to close a chapter in your life, and mine as a nursing mother is over. If you would've told me when I was struggling with Jacob's one and a half hour feedings, that I would end up missing this, I don't know that I would've believed you!
Instead I spend about 15 minutes each night (I've been doing this for quite a while in preparation) in her room watching her play, and then reading books in the rocking chair. I savor this quiet time. The boys are still up, and often dinner has just finished and it's time to clean up, but no matter what is going on, when she gets sleepy we both disappear upstairs. It gives me a chance to clear my head of all else that might have happened during the witching hour before dinner, and also to really see my little sweetheart. Watch her interest change in what types of books we read, and watch her development in play. Sometimes I just sit still while she "feeds" me from her little silver pot.
Such a lovey.
4 weeks ago

7 comments:
Oh, that is just precious, I am starting to really enjoy Brooke as my daughter AND friend. It is such a neat relationship that I missed out on as a kid and am really wanting to embrace it. We went and got our nails done together on Saturday and then went shopping while jR an Luke went golfing. It was good for all of us. I just am loving my little family and it looks like you are too. Take care. Can't wait to see you in March.
I always feel sad when I wean...its just such a special moment alone with your little one. Its moments like those that make motherhood worth it.
It's so hard to let go of those little things. I love this picture of you with Amelia. I think the consistent time set aside is a really good idea. Love you!
Adelle is almost ten months old and I am dreading the time when she will be done nursing. It is such a special time and one I always look back on with fondness
Speaking of lovely, you look beautiful! But, Amelia is a darling, lovely girl. I know how you feel. I often want to just take a whole day with Eden for just the 2 of us. 15 minutes can sure mean a lot.
I just found your blog through preschoolshare blog and started reading through the posts. It has been so delightful to read your insights. I always knew I liked you Cheri, but now even more.
And congrats/condolences on the weaning. It does feel like it should be some big event (though we're grateful if it isn't too dramatic or traumatic), but it usually just happens and then you're done. It just reminds me to savor the nursing bit with Sethie for the next few months; makes me smile just thinking of him. :) Thanks for sharing your happiness in being a mom!
I almost got a little misty-eyed reading this post. I find with each child you savor those mile-stones more and more and when things come to an end. I even find me cherishing the moments in Sunday School and RS having Chase sit on my lap. I will be sad when he goes to nursery and I never thought I would say that.
Post a Comment