So I have been extremely busy at the school, more on that later, but good things are happening. As a result of me being so busy though, dinner time often was moved back to 7:30ish, okay - maybe 8 sometimes, and everything was rush rush. Even though a lot of what was causing crowded days was for a good cause, it made for stress in the home and bad habits started forming. We got in a bad cycle of behavior and how I would respond to that behavior. Repeat.
Some of my good girlfriends from law school came out and stayed for a weekend.
We had such fun!!!! But an important side benefit for my family was that the four days that my kids and I were apart provided a natural break in our cycle. I was able to step away and evaluate and things have gone SO MUCH BETTER around here!
I am being a better girl, and the boys (obviously) are responding to a nicer mom, dinner at a normal time, earlier bed times, and not so much of the "alright, everyone has 20 minutes to finish all their homework and then we're gone!" stuff.
They also found the energy to set some of their own goals and I am SO PROUD of them! I decided to throw an impromptu party for them one night to recognize them. Just threw up some streamers and made some quick blue ribbons while Mike made dinner. They were both surprised!
I am being a better girl, and the boys (obviously) are responding to a nicer mom, dinner at a normal time, earlier bed times, and not so much of the "alright, everyone has 20 minutes to finish all their homework and then we're gone!" stuff.
They also found the energy to set some of their own goals and I am SO PROUD of them! I decided to throw an impromptu party for them one night to recognize them. Just threw up some streamers and made some quick blue ribbons while Mike made dinner. They were both surprised!
Andy's says "Determination & Honesty: No thumb sucking award." He eliminated his "slippy dippy" from his sleepytime diet and is now thumb free! Woohoo! If he found his slip lying near his bed at night he would grab it and throw it onto the highest shelf in his closet and say "Not tonight!" He decided on a two week chart and excitedly put his big X in the box each morning.
Both boys came up with these goals on their own, and monitored themselves. I can't say it enough.....I am so proud of them!
Scrumps to all of us for getting our act back together again! I love you family!

6 comments:
Oh a DEFINITE scrumps is in order!!! Best congrats around. That is so awesome! It's so nice to have things in order. You've inspired me. :)
yeah to see that you are back! A girls weekend sounds so fun!
Weird. I just got back from a Girl's weekend too but the response at home was entirely different...Just kidding. Kudos to the boys for their awards and for Mike making dinner. Love to our favorite Texans
Wow! That is awesome! Good job Jacob & Andrew! I just read this post to Warren. He has been trying really hard to be nicer to Ben and stop sucking his thumb too. He says he is going to try to be a big boy like you and try harder too. Thank you for being such a great example to us boys!
Cheri- Girls weekend is a beautiful for many reasons isn't it? I feel so refreshed every year! Loved spending time with you and being silly! Love ya!
That is so happy... both the girls weekend and the boys goals. SCRUMPS!
Oh, I love it when kids make their parents proud. It is so fun to see how grown up they are. I am still in Austin withdrawls. I keep wanting to call you so we can continue with our conversation we were having in the van. I will try to call you this week. Miss you Cheri.
Post a Comment