1 week ago
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Hermine Excitement
So it rained a little last night. Can you see the ruler? That reads 11 1/2 inches. The bucket went out in the backyard last night at 7:00. Yes, I might be a little of a weather fanatic. I wanted to KNOW how much rain was falling at my house, not at the airport, or weather station....
Anyway - checked the water in the bucket first thing in the morning. I can't get over it. Almost a FOOT of rain last night. That's not counting the day and a half of non-stop rain before my curiousity got the best of me and I put the bucket out.
When I went to switch over the laundry last night I looked out the front window and noticed that the flooding was out of control. I called Mike and we ran outside in our pajamas, in the pouring rain, and waded through the street in water that was almost up to our knees. Our mailbox looked like it was floating, you couldn't see where our sidewalk was....I got some awesome videos of earlier in the day when the water in the ravine was just near the top of it's banks, but I SOOOOO wish I could have gotten videos or pictures of what it looked like at that point. Craziness. But it was too dark. Our whole backyard looked like a river and water about 6 inches deep was rushing through our fence boards and gushing into the street/river.
Lots of fun. We were soaking and running the streets in the dark while our children slept peacefully, blissfully unaware they were home alone.
So I know I'm a little weird and get worked up about weather. And you can rest assured I am passing it on to my children. My kids and I were actually thoroughly disappointed that it stopped raining this afternoon. Humbug. Back to schoolwork.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Wow! That is A LOT of rain! Sorry that there is flooding going on. Hope you guys are doing well! Love ya!
That's crazy rain! I love TX thunderstorms. They are so powerful. We made a rain gage once with a water bottle but it didn't work too great.
We have had a lot of rain here from Hermine but not that much. It was in weather like yours that our Oak tree in the back decided to uproot and tip over (about a year and a half ago) on our back neighbors garages.
Holy downpour batman!
DANG!! That is a ton! Wish I could have been there, I'm kind of a weather nut myself. Sounds SO fun! love you!
Ooh, I'm the same way about the weather. We've had some crazy storms and it's been fun to see the street flood. As long as it doesn't get into the house, it can fall as hard & fast as it wants...
Post a Comment