Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sweet Surprise

This evening Jacob announced the following:

J. "Mom, I think this is probably the best time in my life."

M. "Really? What makes you say that?"

J. "Well, we're all here snuggled up in a cozy kitchen, you are making cookies, I just finished almost completely cleaning the kitchen, Amelia is sitting down hunched over a dinosaur encyclopedia - which is, of course, upside down (hearty chuckle), and Andrew is just drawing some picture of....something. It feels just right in here."

Holy cow. You could have mopped me up. This really is such a surprise, because this same little boy has been having some serious struggles lately. School has been rough. I took him out a week ago, and we are kind of feeling out what the best thing is for him right now. He is on my mind constantly, and I have been worried about how happy he is, and what I could do better for him.

Today was one of those sweet assurances that all the effort we are putting in to our family life is doing something. Jacob has felt our love for him and he feels safe in our home. Not only that...it feels like one of the best times in his life! Yippee!

-And a little sidenote of humor....

yes, our little girl is pushing around a stroller carrying precious cargo - a gun(which she unfortunately knows how to use) and a dinosaur book, and then after a while she added a baby. Gotta love her.

9 comments:

Miguel said...

Maybe we should get the bumper sticker -"Girls with Guns have more fun."

Cheri said...

Ha,ha! Excellent. Our own little G.I. Jane

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

Comment: It is so nice when a plan works! This is great news. Thanks for sharing.

Question: Have you done a thorough check of Amelia's backpack? It could get ugly really fast.

amydear said...

Jake sounds wise beyond his years. What a great moment. I need one of those! And Amelia with a gun is just too funny. At least the baby is on top.

Christina said...

About your post on my blog... my feeling is that if he is struggling, it never hurts to ask or pursue. You can even do a google search... I'm sure that they have checklists on-line. I know the specialist sent me one, and I was debating until I went through the checklist and answered almost everything "always". At least talking with your pediatrician can give you ideas for parenting. Plus, I'm a believer in prayer! I've gotten so much direction that way.

Emily said...

So glad to hear the plan is working out. And Oh...my....gosh. That is so funny. You never can be too careful these days. I think I will get a holster sewn onto my stoller too. Can she do the machine gun sound effects yet? ;)

Amy said...

Jakers. I hope things get better for him at school and with the other things he is struggling with.

Amelia. HAHAHA

Moore Family said...

We love you guys SOOO much! I hope Jake knows we love him so much and are rooting for him as well. He can do it!

How is Amelia growing so fast? It isn't fair how quick they grow!

Lindz said...

I love your blog! I love your kids, especially Jake. Dan and I have soo many great memories of him in Dan's primary sunbeam class. Best wishes to your family - we miss you guys.