Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cheri's now a runner

On Saturday, Cheri competed in her first race. It was the Vern's no-frills 5K in Georgetown, which is a town about 20 minutes from our house. It was a very pretty course.

The kids came to watch her, and she did awesome. Cheri stuck with her daily training program, so it was no surprise that she did well. Her time was 36 minutes and 42 seconds. She is now training for a 10K, and wants to run against me in a 5K.

And here is just a nice picture of Cheri and Amelia.


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Kierstin said...

Way to go Cheri!! Are you building up to a marathon? Did you train alone?

I am getting back in my running groove. A race would be fun to do again just to get me motivated to run faster.

Guynns said...

Thats awesome Cheri!I need to do things like that. Maybe i should start working out first. ha

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Way to go!! So, I'm assuming the first shot of you mostly by yourself is because you are way ahead of the pack, right?! :)

Cheri said...

Jennifer,
I actually was really slow on this one. I certainly was not in the back, but I had never done a "race" before and learned some things....such as EAT something before. I had no sugar in my system at all and was very sluggish. Just on a regular run I've run it in much less time. So yeah, in the other picture where there is someone with me it is an OLD man! Haha! Oh well. This means nothing but a major time improvement next time, right!

And Kierstin, I train alone. I tried a couple of times with different people but found that I prefer not to talk.....I guess I savor the time alone with my thoughts. And I don't know about a marathon. Definitely 10k's, and I'd like to do a triathlon, but I have bad knees and I don't think a marathon hammering would be awesome for them.

Amy said...

Great job! You are great to train and accomplish your goals! I'm feeling a little more motivated! Thanks!

Emily said...

Awesome Cheri! You go girl! I totally started running...just like 3 weeks ago too. I had no idea you were too. I need to talk to you for tips! Congrats! That is awesome!

Lindsay said...

Yay!!! Great job! I'm jealous...

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

Good on ya Bird! Good stuff. love ya

Amy said...

Work it! I would love to do some kind of racing like that. Nice work.