Monday, June 21, 2010

The Power of Sugar

It's amazing what some sugar in the bloodstream can do for a girl. On Saturday I ran (term used loosely) a 5k event. My time was 36:42.

Tonight I ran 5k and my time was 23:16.

That is a difference of 13 minutes and 26 seconds. And that, my friends, is the power of sugar.

Saturday morning the race started at 8 and I had to be up at 6:20 to get ready and get there. Didn't eat. Was STARVING before the race began.

Tonight I went running a couple hours after a good dinner and a little handful of chocolate chips and pretzels during Family Home Evening.

I now pose a question for all you out there that are experienced runners. What works for you on race days as far as food goes? What can you consume within an hour of running that will not upset your stomach?

I would prefer to do better at the events and am not sure how to do so.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Eat pasta the night before a race. The carbs will keep your energy up. Tip from Clay's mom (marathon runner and avid tri-athalon frequenter) Also, drink chocolate milk after your workout for a good recovery drink. I don't know what she eats the morning of...I'll find out for you. But she always ALWAYS eats a big ol' helping of pasta the night before.

Cheri said...

Thank you! And please do find out what she eats the morning of. I have heard of carbo loading but didn't know how much of it was really helpful. Sounds like it is!

Dad / Grandpa Thomason said...

I usually take some texas cake and a lawn chair and get as close to the action as I can. Hope this helps. Yes, dad humor...

Polliwog said...

I eat 1/2 a mini bagel and 1/2 a banana the morning of. I've heard some do oatmeal. Whatever you choose, do it consistently as you train in your weekly long run and your body will figure it out.

To echo Lindsay, before a race I eat pasta the night before, but lots of times during my training I don't remember or have a chance to. In that case, I will eat a bowl of frosted mini-wheats before bed, which seems to still give me the carbs I need in the morning.

Choc milk is a great recovery drink. Eat (or drink) something with protein within 15 min of finishing a run longer than 6 miles for muscle recovery. I do a chocolate protein shake with PB, frozen bananas, protein powder, milk and ice. Mmm!

Oh, and take some candy (lifesavers) or some sport beans on your long run if you need it. I don't usually do this for anything less than 10, but if you think you might hit a wall, it can be a good pick-up.

Lindsay said...

I asked and this is the answer that came back:

toast with peanut butter,
a bagel and a banana,
or
1/2 a cliff bar

Hope that helps!

Dinah said...

Ditto the chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Just tried coconut water for recovery during my last race and loved it. For a pre race or run meal, I like a half of a banana or clif/power bar. Whatever you do, practice different combinations as you train so you know for sure what works for you and stick to something you have already tried on race day. Carb loading is good, but make sure to add in a protien too. I'm so proud of you. Keep on running. Its addicting.

Amy said...

I've found the best thing to be a really good shake right before I go running. One of my favorites is spaghetti-clam chowder-root beer. Equal parts of each. Give it a try. You'll love it!

-Spencer