Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Enough Already!

Yesterday afternoon, while shopping with the kids, I had a sudden onset of sickness. A fever swept over my body and within minutes had every joint aching and my skin sensitive to the slightest touch. We cut the trip short, rushed to the checkout line and I nearly lost it as Jacob pulled out his precious wallet and began to painstakingly count out his change in order to pay for the Skittles he wanted to purchase. I tried so hard to be patient, but every second was killing me, and Andrew was whining full throttle about wanting some Skittles too. (I did NOT give in!)

As soon as we got home, I locked the deadbolt, gave the old spiel about not opening the door if someone knocks, and crashed on my bed. A few hours later Jacob woke me up to tell me Amelia had been crying for awhile and he thought she was really hungry. I was then reminded that they were hungry too. Milk for the girl, oatmeal for the boys, and then a crabby mom all but pushed them into their beds and shut the door.

It was a long freezing cold, burning hot, freezing cold night.

This morning Andrew wanted me to read Go Dogs, Go! to him. Poor guy. I did my best to stay awake, but numerous times I would find myself mumbling things like "Christmas is already over" and listing off the names of the lotions I have... He was confused and annoyed that I kept reading things that "aren't on the page!" You know the state I'm talking about - eyes are switching sockets, you can barely contain the head roll...

And I'm hacking up a lung. So there it is. I'm miserable, but hopeful that it will be gone by tomorrow. A couple of friends have granted me a chance at sanity by taking the boys for playdates this afternoon.... and now the pressing question is "How many nights am I allowed to feed the family pathetic dinners?"

4 comments:

Alissa said...

as many nights as it takes until you feel better! silly question!!

FEEL BETTER!

Amy said...

So sad to hear you are so sick. I am glad that someone is going to take the boys for you. Good luck! We eat pathetic meals even when I am not sick, so I wouldn't worry about it!!! Love you.

Polliwog said...

What misery! It's never fun being sick but in the middle of errands with 3 kids? That, to me, is a nightmare. I'm sure you're better by now, but the answer to your question is--pathetic meals until you feel like eating something different, sick or not. That's my motto.

Emily said...

Cheri...that is crummy, sorry to hear you were so sick. Dinner, what is that? he he Seriously, if I need to send some take-out to the Andersons, let me know.