A while back my sister in law posed the question "What would you do if you had 6 months left to live?" on her blog. I started thinking about it today as I was holding sweet Amelia.
I think the first thing I would do is try to impress upon my children my love and testimony of the restored gospel here upon the earth. I would let them know that they can get answers to their questions from the scriptures, and that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I would bear witness to them that if they follow the prophet and listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, they will be okay. I would record my experiences with trials and blessings for them to read and glean faith from.
Secondly I think I would plan a family vacation. One that the kids would love.
Next, I would go on a week long vacation with Mike only.
I would spend my time making memories.
I would sit my children down and tell them that Daddy would look for another Mommy to take care of them until they could be with me again. And that they should try their hardest to love her and obey her and make her laugh.
I would also try to make a special "Love Quilt" for each of them, so that when they needed a hug from me, they could wrap themselves in their blankets and feel my arms around them.
Wow, I could go on and on. I would want to write letters to everyone who has touched my life, and see as much of my family as possible. I guess this might end up being too much!
But writing this reminds me that I need to write a LOT of things down in my journal before they disappear from my memory and that the little moments through each day are forming my children. Who they will become. I need to be better at expressing my faith and better at looking past the mud on the carpet, to the child who is excitedly telling me something.
1 week ago

2 comments:
Hmmm... no comments yet, huh? That's because this is SO DANG DEPRESSING. Well, admittedly, you've inspired me too. I really hate thinking about this kind of thing. (But still do, in fact it's been on my mind recently.) On the one hand, I wonder if I think about it will I be better prepared? On the other, I get stuck in a spiral of fear and it seems detrimental to my faith. So I decided the other night that strengthening my spirituality and faith and being the best wife and mother I can be is about the best preparation I can make anyway. I'm gonna work on it! :) Thanks for the deep thoughts.
It's so good to think about that stuff every once in awhile. I loved your point about looking past the insignificant to what is really important.That's really hard but really it is so IMPORTANT. Are my kids going to remember me as a upset clean freak or as a friend that shares their excitement & listens to them?
Post a Comment