Monday, February 11, 2008

Money in the Wind

On Saturday I went over to give a final goodbye to my friend who was moving away. As I sat on the porch of my "born and raised in Texas" friend, I was struck by how different all my friends are.

We were sitting on her back porch, with a mess of kids running around whooping and hollering as they "shot" each other with play rifles. Two big dirty dogs were lying at our feet, beer bottles were here and there, and her husband and his brother were playing horseshoes - wearing Wranglers, no shirts, and camouflage baseball caps.

At one point these guys left to gas up the truck in preparation to go, and when they came back, they tossed my friend one of about 5 large lottery tickets. She excitedly started rubbing away with a coin, and started jumping up and down and screaming that she had won 70 bucks. Then her husband laughed and said it was a good thing, because they were 50 buck tickets. I laughed and dismissed the comment, and was excited with my friend.

THEN.....she lays the ticket on the patio table. "$50" is what I read in the upper right hand corner . "What the...?" (to steal a phrase from my boys). They sell 50 dollar lottery tickets?!! I wanted to instinctually shout out, "Who buys these things?!"

But I already had my answer. My friend does......and I love her anyway.

0 comments: