A few days ago we had a nightmarish trip to the grocery store. Long story short, Jacob pushed my buttons (and the cart into a woman) and I, for the first time, was that mom in the grocery store. In a snarling, threatening, none too quiet voice I commanded him to, "Stop it!"
On the way home I talked to him about how awful I felt talking to him that way in front of people and that I just wasn't sure what to do with him. etc, etc.... He realized how his misbehavior had affected the rest of us and felt bad about it, so when we arrived home and Amelia was ready to eat, he offered to put all the groceries away so I could feed her.
As I sat in the other room he would occasionally ask me where to put something. He had been working in the fridge on produce and then asked where to put the roast. I told him the bottom shelf.
Fast forward to today - three days later. I am quickly chopping vegetables and tossing them into the crock pot. I have much to do and am in a hurry. Then I go to look for the roast. You already know the end to this story, I'm sure, and I wish I had at the time. Would've saved me almost a half an hour of turning the refrigerator and freezer inside out!
Yes. As I sat down to think where I would be if I were a roast, I remembered that Jake had put away the groceries. I opened the pantry, and there - in the back on the bottom shelf - was a roast. Aughh! Fortunately there was no smell yet, and NO MAGGOTS! Quick trip to the trash can and then the grocery store set everything back on track.
Maybe I should slow down on the quest for independent children, eh?
1 week ago

1 comments:
What a classic story. And you can't be too mad, right? :) I SO feel your grocery store pain. Last time I took both girls, Smidget would push the cart away any time I was looking elsewhere and almost ran over several people. Oops. I try everything to get her to STAY in the cart, but she wants to be part of the action.
Post a Comment