1 week ago
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Shakespeare in the Park
A few weekends ago we went to see Much Ado About Nothing. It is part of a 49 year tradition a local park has of putting on free Shakesperean performances each summer. Everyone spreads out blankets on the hill, eats picnic dinners, and waits for the sun to set so the show can begin. It was a lot of fun. It took both Mike and I a few acts to catch on to the language. It's been so long since I've read any of his works! As I was struggling to get the hang of it again, I worried that perhaps bringing the boys wasn't such a great idea, but they LOVED it! They hung on all the way to the end (10:30) and laughed at the funny parts and were against the villian.
It is such a great, comical play. The men "returning from war" in the beginning of the play rode down the hill past all of us on their "horses" (bikes) and the boys thought it was so funny. Later on, the constable character and his assistant came wandering up in to the crowd during a scene they were not involved in. They sat down on our blanket and asked the boys if they had any fruit or sandwiches. The boys gave them each an apple and then were thrilled to see the men eating their apples in the next scene! After the play was over and everyone had done their final bows, the constable shouted out for the "two white-haired boys" to stand up. Then he had everyone clap for them and told Jake and Andrew "[they] rock!" It was a fun outing and so good for the boys to stretch their brains with the different way of speaking. This will be another event to throw in with the growing list of family traditions!
Posted by Cheri at 10:01 PM
Labels: Shakespeare play
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
i have to say that reading your blog does not make our wanting to live in Austin but not having a job there, any easier.
This sounds like so much fun and that is so great they got the boys involved. We saw the same play last fall. I too forgot how tricky the language can be. I took a shakespear class and it took me a little while get what they were saying then. It is harder reading it, there really is so much humor throughout all of his works but hard to pick up on it without the acting & scenery, etc. I often had to cheat and watch the movie afterwards to make sure I actually got the story right. ;) That is great that the boys enjoyed it. Sounds like it was a really fun atmosphere.
Just move here Alissa. We did. Actually, never-mind. That was kind of rough.
-Mike
That is awesome! How fun. it gets me all revved up for summertime and I LOVE that play!!
Post a Comment