Imagine, if you will, Andy Roo wearing his green Robin Hood tunic, a new pair of flashy cowboy boots with big white stars on them, and a silver breastplate. This is what he chose to wear on our family walk this evening. You know how kids sometimes throw together funny combinations and it seems to work? This combo was not working. Every time I looked at him I wanted to shake my head. So anyway, while on our walk, the King of Secret Vocabulary informed us that we had better watch out because he had a Compsilator in his pocket and it was filled with poison! He then waved his stick - I mean, laser - at us and ran on ahead. I always wonder if the "special words" are a lack of understanding of the words we use, or a creative mind at work. I guess it could be both...he doesn't remember the word, but he doesn't let that get in the way. Who knows. He does make me laugh, though.
In other news: As I was out running errands this morning, Andy and Amelia were having fun as usual with each other. Andrew getting right in her face and making loud goobery noises, and Amelia kicking her feet and opening her mouth wide in delight. At one point I am assuming she had had enough. She started fussing and Andrew started consoling:
"Laaa-deee, don't be sa-ad!"
Continued fussing.
(this time giggling all the way through his words) "Laaa-deee, it's okay. You don't need to cry!"
Amelia stops fussing for a moment.
"Mom! At first I just told her she was okay, and then I put my laughter on and told her she was okay and she LIKED IT!! I should put my laughter on EVERY TIME!"
He can be such a goofy kid. And he loves his "Busta Bear." (don't ask. it's one of his many nicknames for her.) And she loves him.
In fact, tonight at dinner we had such a sweet conversation. Mike was asking the kids what they would want in a house. Andrew requested a tree house, and Jake requested "a nice room by himself." Then he decided someone would need to keep Amelia company so he would share a room with her, and Andrew could have his own room. But Andrew wanted to be with her and Jake. He stretched out his arms (he was seated at the table between Jake and Amelia) to each of them and said he loved them both. They both talked about how good it was to be together and how they didn't want anyone to be lonely, and all three had big blue eyes and smiles. It was so adorable and heartwarming to watch and listen to.
Oh brother, I am tearing up as I type this. I love my kids and I am so glad that they love each other. Amelia watches the boys like they are her heroes. She puts up with being wrapped like a burrito and rolled across the carpet, forced leg lifts, and disgustingly slobbery kisses x 20 all over her head, all with a smile and shining eyes. What a joy my children can be.
1 week ago

5 comments:
How fun to be able to hear and see and feel how much the kids love each other! Those are the cherished moments that make it all worth it!
I loved reading this. Being a mom has so many intangible rewards. The kids loving each other is way at the top of the list!
That is so sweet! I love how they came back around to loving and always wanting just what they have.
OH yes, and I LOVED Andrew turning his laughter on. I think I need to hit the "on" button more often.
What a sweet experience. Fruits of their mama's (and papa's) labors no doubt.
Post a Comment