Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring Break - Second Edition

Almost every day during Spring Break the kids had multiple playdates. Friends over here in the morning, and then off at someone else's house in the afternoon. They stayed busy and I had regular breaks. Lots of trampoline jumping, pools, and baseball.

This moment was caught one afternoon in our backyard. They all have a makeshift weapon from the toy box out back. Jake asked, "Mom, what would you think if you saw these fierce guys in your backyard?!" (or you could use Andrew's name for bad guys - "don't believe in God-ers.") Andy Roo is at that age where he is really trying to nail down what is right and what is wrong and how he's going to get to heaven...and he has some extremely sweet and profound things come out, as well as some pretty crazy ideas. Daily I hear things like; "That boy at the school just spit his gum on the sidewalk. I guess HE doesn't believe in God," or a man pulls up in a truck to pick up his daughter at the school and Dooners says resignedly, "Well, HE must be a kidnapper. I guess he won't be going to heaven." What a goose.

Thursday night we had some friends over to camp out in the backyard. What fun! Mike built a fire with the boys on the back patio and they roasted marshmallows. We made our own personal pizzas for dinner and Mike and I tried to keep a handle on the potty humor. BOYS!! What they won't come up with. My word.

That afternoon we had received the book, "The Dangerous Book For Boys" from a good friend and the boys were stoked! That night as I crawled into the tent to read a story before they all fell asleep, I was surprised to see Jacob already reading. They were all huddled around the "dangerous" book and Jake was holding a flashlight and reading about the Revolutionary War. He quickly looked up at me and then threw the book under his pillow. I took it with me when I left the tent and later he informed that I had ruined he and his friend's plan of waking up in the middle of the night and reading it.

Anyway - they were all asleep by 10:30 and slept until 8 a.m. I slept inside on the couch, expecting them to trickle in through the night, but didn't see anyone until they were inside excitedly reminding me that they were ready for the "rainbow cereal" we had bought for the sleepover. (Trix - without the bunny on the box. My poor kids; I always say, "Do you want me to spend an extra 2 bucks for a picture on a box that we're going to throw away, or do you want to get the other cereal and save the money for something cool? Works every time.)

Here are a few more pictures. (Gotta love Jake's mallow 'stache.)

The whole week was so much fun. All I thought of was playing with the boys and Amelia. I got right in with them with everything (even Lovey Dumpkins got her own Lego's to play with/chew on...not the small pieces!) and had a wonderful time. There were lots of hugs and head rubs and giggles.

2 comments:

Amy said...

How fun! You are brave parents to have a campout! Speaking of which we are still getting snow - not fair! That first picture of them looks like a classic picture of life-long friends! For some reason it reminded me of Sandlot! Strange, I know!

Polliwog said...

You are incredible. I think that is my biggest failing as a parent--I dread playtime. Puzzles, games, reading, crafts, and learning stuff I'm okay with, but as soon as they want me to pretend with Little People or princesses, I feel a groan coming on...