"Now this is what I call a Party!" exclaimed Andrew as we approached this...


Today we went to the 80th annual Zilker Kite festival. It was kicked off in 1929 and then moved to the park we were at in 1936. So cool! I am a nut for all things historical, and as we walked through the throngs of people I was imagining the same crowds wearing very different clothing and flying very different kites. It's always neat to have traditions and I think this one will be a new one for our family.
Shame on me for not bringing a camera! Still not a habit yet. The kites were INCREDIBLE! We saw sharks, flying ships, dragons, box kites, squids, and one shaped like a little boy that we thought was hysterical. As "he" tried to take off he looked like he was somersaulting, then falling flat on his face, then finally flapping into the air. (The pictures above are from 3 years ago -but give you an idea).
There were hundreds and hundreds of kites. We weren't sure what to expect, so we didn't know if we could bring our little rinky dink kites. We could've! Anyone who wanted to fly anything was welcome to. As we were watching all the amazing kites, a family walked up and offered us two of their kites. We were so grateful. The boys really had so much fun trying to keep them in the air. It was incredibly windy and kites were dive-bombing everybody. There were probably a couple thousand people there and it was just fun to be in the warm outdoors, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and to be flying kites with tons of other families.
1 week ago

1 comments:
I have heard that the kite festival is so cool! How fun that you guys got to go!
Post a Comment